2016 Scholarship Application
For the 2015 school year, the winners and finalists were contacted for their stories to be included in our Story of the Month series. All 15 finalists were acknowledged as ‘winners’ for their superior academic achievements and community service.
DESCENDANTS OF KOREAN WAR FOUNDATION (DKWF) seeks to offer academic scholarships to bloodline descendants of U.S. veterans who served in the Korean War. The scholarship is offered to college students as well as to high school juniors and seniors. In 2013, the foundation established four scholarships in honor of the four Congressional members who served in the Korean War.
- The John Conyers Jr. Public Service Scholarship Award
- The Sam Johnson Public Service Scholarship Award
- The Charles B. Rangel Public Service Scholarship Award
- The Howard Coble Public Service Scholarship Award
Eligibility Requirements for College/University and High School seniors:
- Open to all bloodline descendants of U.S. veterans served in the Korean War. A copy of the qualifying service DD-214 is required. DD-214 information can be found via http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
- Open to all High school juniors and seniors enrolled in the U.S.
- For college/university students, applicant must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited college or university as a degree seeking student and for first-time undergraduate study only.
- Attained a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale
Selection Criteria: Selection of DKWF scholarships will be awarded based on the applicant’s skills, abilities, and academic and special achievements.
- Academic achievement
- Personal merit
Essay: Please submit an essay (500-750 words) remembering the heroic act of your family member(s) who served in the Korean War and how the sacrifices he/she made for Democracy and Freedom have shaped your goals in life.
To apply: Applications had been accepted starting September 1, 2015. Submit your completed application form, your essay, two (2) letters of recommendation/reference and your resume. Your completed application packet should be mailed to:
DKWF, P. O. Box 23043, Washington D.C. 20026-3043
Application Deadline: The postmark deadline for applications is May 15, 2016. Winners will be notified by July 30, 2016. The Foundation will only notify the winners.
__Completed Application __Essay __Qualifying service DD-214 __Resume
__Two letter of recommendations/references (one from an academic instructor)
Note: Selected winners will be notified to submit academic transcripts for verification.
For further information, contact DKWF at info@DescendantsofKoreanWar.org.
*Pending Budget – Board plans to increase the # of scholarship recipients.